Living in the country has its advantages and disadvantages. If you are moving to a rural area, it’s important that you know what to expect or not expect. Every rural municipality is different.
What to expect when living in the Rural Municipality of Moose Jaw No. 161:
- Agriculture is this municipality’s primary focus. Farming operations may occur around the clock. Fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides used in farming operations may cause health sensitivity to family members. Farm animals and their manure do cause odours.
- Dust – travel on rural gravel roads and surrounding farming operations will cause dust. Dust control is available on a 50/50 cost share basis. *
- Noxious Weeds – as a land owner, you are responsible to control and if possible eradicate noxious weeds growing on your lands.*
- Landfill Access – The City of Moose Jaw Landfill is available for use by rural residents. Minimal fees are charged.
- Travel on gravel roads – drive with care and caution. Gravel roads tend to be dusty, can develop washboard sections or during inclement weather they may be muddy and become rutted. As this municipality only has two graders and operators, maintenance to roads may take several days to occur.
- Pets and Farm Animals – they are not allowed to stray off your property.
*Please contact the Municipal office at 306-692-3446 for further information and details on various programs available.